Thursday 17 July 2008

Being filmed

Thursday morning was beautiful - white linen trousers weather. Phew. I arrived early to scout out a couple of initial good locations for Kate-type photography, this generally involves sitting down in the middle of the road. Pissing off motorists and motorcycle riders on narrow Parisian "ruelles" is an occupational hazard. 

The film crew mustered outside Métro Abbesses. And the Parisians moved just gently to one side; their respect for cinema outweighing their intolerance of inconvenience.

The first photo opportunity involved sitting down in the middle of the street, and Sherry was wearing a cotton-jersey summer dress. She is a pro... she coped. Our rapport and mutual respect grew as the day went on. Another phew.

As the filming continued I forgot we were even being filmed and recorded, every step of the way. Occasionally Tom would call us back because one or other of us had said something really excellent that would drive the story along. This involved doing re-takes. At the 6th retake of one particular scene I no longer knew what I had said in the first place. Sherry acknowledged that she generally could recall anything for up to 24 hours and then it was lost to her. She is a pro.

Three hours later we were all in yet another secret garden in Paris. The film crew had collapsed onto the edge of the band stand. The bottled water was finished and I had a vernissage to set up. Sherry and I parted (on camera) after 5 takes in which I invited her to my vernissage that evening...

No comments: