Sunday 20 July 2008

Vernissage

A private viewing in France is known as a "vernissage", historically when the artist laid the final coat of varnish (vernis) to their work to render brighter or duller according to the light in the salon where the work was being shown.

I needed no varnish - the photos sighed languidly in the breeze from the open window self-assured in their composition. 

The film crew arrived early, as planned, and shot Sherry arriving at the apartment as I welcomed her in and explained what vernissage meant. The camera then followed us as I gave her a private viewing and artist's explanation of the photos. Aaaaah. I bathed in the "it is all about me" for a good half and hour and loved every moment.

And then the remainder of the guests arrived, stopping under the windows in the street to hear the buzz of the event above their heads, keen to tell me that they wanted to see more photos (they do not know how long it took me to hang these ones, and I did not tell them). Some interesting conversations ensued and I have leads for future projects. 

The highlight was when Sherry came up to me to ask if she could buy a print, and it was all recorded on film. If they use this part of the footage then so will I. In addition to this sale I managed a further two sales. In retrospect I was trying to do too much, I was trying to do it all and it would have been better to enlist some help. It was a learning experience. I learned.

The second highlight was at the end, when all the invitees had departed Jennifer, Laura and Kylie stayed behind to make sure I came down gently, and they helped tidy everything away. That is friendship. 

2 comments:

Roz said...

Kate, I've left something for you at my blog, when you get a minute, can you stop by and pick it up, I'm sure you will like it.

JR said...

Very interesting, well-organized blog to which I want to return.
Best wishes
Jonas