Sunday 6 July 2008

Previous films made here include...

Saturday I had a meeting with Lois Grjebine, the owner of this marvelous apartment (pictured left) who has kindly offered to host my photo exhibition entitled "The Other Side of Paris". She is a woman of character and a social calendar to rival the busiest in town. The apartment is enormous with the most amazing triple height window in the sitting room. Original artworks hang on the walls interspersed with African masks. More artwork rests on random easels.

I had the vague thought that it might be fun for Lois to have a film crew in her apartment, then she told me how a great French film of 1981 by Claude Pinoteau "La boum" was filmed here featuring the novice Sophie Marceau! The film crew broke plates (which they then replaced), scuffed the floor and generally made a mess. Lois fiercely expressed her concern over the crew arriving on Thursday. I made suitable mollifying noises.

We discussed how I will hang the images and I explained my ingenious plan to which she nodded her acceptance. She asked to see some of the photographs that I had brought with me to this meeting and scrutinized them and nodded her approval. Then she told me she was the Chief Photo Editor for a newspaper and had met one of my heros - Robert Doisneau.

I feel smaller, but in very good company.

No comments: